Thank you for your interest in teaching at Cowell!
Here is a little information about our school so that you have some background knowledge for your interview.
- We serve students from age 3 up to 5th grade.
- There are approximately 550 students at Cowell.
- About 92% of our students qualify for free or reduced lunch.
- About 95% of our students are Hispanic.
- About 60% of our students are English Language Learners.
- We deal with the typical inner-city, high-poverty issues, but the number of students with significant behavior issues is very low.
- We are a low-performing school, but we are making significant improvements to our instruction.
- Cowell showed significant growth on the School Performance Framework for the 2008 – 2009 school year.
- Our median growth percentile for 2008 – 2009 was above 65%
- We use the District Literacy plan for literacy instruction (reader’s and writer’s workshop).
- We use Everyday Math for math instruction.
- The Avenues curriculum is taught in every classroom for ESL support.
- Each teacher at every grade level participate in a 45 minute intervention block 4x per week for RtI using a “flooding” model.
- Parents at Cowell are very supportive and attend school functions.
- The staff at Cowell is very collaborative and supportive.
- We have two intervention teachers, a literacy coach, and a part-time math coach.
If you have any questions about this information or our school, please ask!
All applications must be completed through the Denver Public Schools’ Human Resources web site.
After submitting the application on line to HR, you must then select a position on the online job board for Cowell Elementary.
You may also get directions to our school through Map Quest