Home of the Cowell Scholars!
Here at Cowell Elementary, we serve students in a friendly, positive learning environment from Early Childhood Education through fifth grade.
We are a respectful community that fosters excitement for learning and holds high expectations for all who enter our doors.
Our instructional and behavioral approaches are consistent school-wide and provided by an excellent teaching staff. Meet Our Team.
Cowell operates under the Transitional Native Language Instruction (TNLI) model, in which students begin studying in their native language and transition toward English proficiency during their time in the elementary years.
We are committed to becoming a school where every student excels
- We utilize data-driven reading intervention and differentiated instruction.
- We meet individual needs for every student, accelerating learning for high-performing students and providing intervention for low performing students.
- We offer a variety of after-school programs including a combined soccer and writing program, Fit Fun, and English as a Second Language for adults.
- We support teachers with weekly professional development that is focused on literacy and reading and differentiated to meet individual needs.
- We maintain small class sizes, a full computer lab, two laptop carts with thirty computers seven Chrombook Carts with thirty-two chromebooks in each. We also have one iPad cart with 30 ipads. In addition, there are forty iPads distribuited for students’ needs.
- We serve students from age 3 up to 5th grade.
- There are approximately 451 students at Cowell.
- About 95% of our students qualify for free or reduced lunch.
- About 94% of our students are Hispanic.
- About 54% of our students are English Language Learners.
- We are making significant improvements to our instruction year after year.
- We use the District Literacy plan for literacy instruction (reader’s and writer’s workshop).
- We use EngageNY for math instruction.
- The Avenues curriculum is taught in every classroom for ESL support.
- Parents at Cowell are very supportive and attend school functions.
- The staff at Cowell is very collaborative and supportive.
- We have one intervention teachers, a literacy coach, and a part-time math coach.
- Here is a little information about our wonderful community school.